And the day came when the risk it took to remain tightly closed in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to bloom. Anais Nin

Saturday

Connections

Kudos to the Women's Empowerment Coalition for their Women in Art, Academia, and Community event on March 24th at WSU Vancouver. Their full day of great speakers, music, and thought provoking discussions was the best I've attended in a very long while. I was honored to be asked to read from Wind Wing and humbled by the connections I made with several interesting women. Below is a poem read that day by Cherry Muhanji that inspired all of us.

This Is My Beloved
By Walter Benton

Because hate is legislated . . . written into
the primer and testament,
shot into our blood and brain like vaccine or vitamins

Because our day of time, of hours --- and the clock-hand turns,
closes the circle upon us; and black timeless night
sucks us in like quicksand, receives us totally ---
without a raincheck or a parachute, a key to heaven or the last long look

I need love more than ever now . . . I need your love,
I need love more than hope or money, wisdom or a drink

Because slow negative death withers the world and only yes
can turn the tide

Because love has your face and body . . . and your hands are tender
and your mouth is sweet ---- and God has made no other eyes like yours.

No comments:

Post a Comment